Like most active families, our weeks are busy and there’s not a lot of time for making complicated dinners. That’s why I like to cook my Sicilian mom’s easy Shrimp Scampi recipe, because it’s flavorful, easy and affordable . Using either fresh or frozen shrimp makes it easy for me to make a meal that is quick and delicious.
When I was growing up watching my mom whip things up in the kitchen, there were not a lot of written recipes around. She taught me to cook intuitively, using ingredients I know work together and taste great. My mom is gone now, and I make dishes like this one to remember those good times in her kitchen.
This Shrimp Scampi recipe is one of those favorites, adapted for our busy lifestyle to be made in just 30 minutes with a few fresh ingredients and a secret surprise thrown in.
Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe
Ingredients for Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (reserve some to sprinkle on top)
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (in oil) – mom’s secret ingredient
- 1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- pinch of red chili flakes
- black pepper
- Linguine or fettuccini pasta – 1 lb
Directions for Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- Chop onions into chunks and sauté in olive oil until translucent, adding the garlic about half way through.
- While this is cooking, cut the tomatoes in half and clean out the seeds. Cut the tomato halves into 4 pieces each, and add to the pan along with parsley and wine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer while tomatoes cook, for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add shrimp and entire jar of artichoke hearts including the oil, stirring gently as the sauce cooks for about 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle pinch of chili (more if you like it spicy!) and then add salt and black pepper to taste. Turn heat to lowest setting.
- When pasta noodles are done cooking, drain almost all of the water but reserve about 1/2 inch in bottom of pot. Add drained pasta back into the pot with reserved water, and toss with one tablespoon of olive oil. (This keeps the noodles from sticking together).
- Spoon pasta into serving bowls and generously ladle shrimp scampi sauce on top. Sprinkle with reserved parsley and serve with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
See? Delicious, fast and super easy to make. My Sicilian mama would be so proud!
Like Easy Seafood Recipes?
If you are searching for more easy seafood recipes, check out my delicious recipe for Creole Salmon with Lemon Butter Sauce here.