This post with my Sausage Strata recipe has been sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
We love Father’s Day in our family because it’s Double Dad Day! Our girls always do a great job celebrating us, but I am still the cook in our house and I love to create recipes and delicious food to feed my family and friends. Sometimes I want to cook a big fancy breakfast, but there is just no time on busy mornings to get that done. That’s why this Italian-inspired Sausage Strata Recipe is so brilliant. You make it the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning! It comes together quite easily using Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Sausage Roll and other flavorful ingredients from Vons. Your family will cheer you on for serving up this morning feast.
Give yourself a break by getting all your necessary ingredients for this recipe from Vons. We place our orders on the Vons mobile app, and schedule convenient delivery to our front door to save extra time. Vons is our neighborhood grocery store, and we love shopping there because of the breadth of merchandise and the freshness of their produce, meats and dairy products.
Sausage Strata Recipe
So what is a strata, you ask? It’s a savory layered casserole that consists of bread, eggs, cheese – and in this case, delicious Jimmy Dean® Sausage Roll. We like this sausage best because of its satisfying, savory taste and quality ingredients. Think of this dish as kind of like a bread pudding except not sweet for dessert.
I love making this Sausage Strata recipe on holidays or for family brunches when there is always so much to get done and little time to do it. Another great thing about this dish: it stores and freezes well. Since the entire strata may not be consumed in one sitting, you have leftovers to feed the crew later!
- 1 16-oz package of Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Sausage Roll
- 1 soft French bread loaf, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups shredded Italian Blend cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
Instructions for Making Sausage Strata Recipe
1. Butter the bottom and sides of a deep 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
2. In a large pan on medium-high heat, cook the Jimmy Dean® Sausage Roll, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula while it cooks so it resembles crumbles.
3. When the sausage is nearly cooked, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring regularly for about 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and stir, cooking for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In the baking pan, layer the bottom with bread cubes. Then sprinkle half of the sausage mixture. Add half of the olives and then sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese mixture.
6. Repeat the step above, adding another layer of ingredients to the pan.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the baking pan, making sure to cover evenly. Cover pan with aluminum foil and store in refrigerator overnight.
8. In the morning, remove pan from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking in order to bring it to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9. Bake the strata for 45 minutes, and then remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more.
10. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and let the gang have at it!Print Recipe
If you are really wanting this Sausage Strata recipe to lean into its Italian theme, you can replace the parsley with chopped fresh basil. I have also served this dish with a side of tomato pasta sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It’s hearty enough to serve for lunch or dinner too!