There is a traditional Mexican dish called Posole that our family loves. In Mexican households, Posole (or Pozole as some spell it) is cooked in large quantities, using a big stew pot. This delicious “stew” is often served on special occasions, or as a big Sunday dinner. In our house, we love to enjoy posole pretty much anytime. Whether the weather is warm or chilly, this spicy and hearty dish is a welcome mainstay. Our recipe for Spicy Pork Posole is a variation on the traditional Mexican theme.
This recipe and more favorites are included in my new cookbook, One-Pan Cookbook for Men: 100 Easy Single-Skillet Recipes to Step Up Your Cooking Game. If you like this recipe and want more, check out the book on amazon.com.
In our recipe for posole, I’ve created an easier approach that takes a few shortcuts so the dish can be prepared more quickly. Saving time and energy is essential at the end of a long day – particularly if you are working from home and also overseeing your kids at the same time. Another thing I love about this recipe for Spicy Pork Posole? It stores easily for leftovers and you can also package it for freezing and enjoying later.
Recipe for Spicy Pork Posole
Delicious on a chilly winter night or warm summer evening, this dish is a traditional Mexican favorite in our home because it holds up well and can be easily reheated . You can even make a double the batch and store leftovers in individual airtight containers in the fridge or freezer. You know, for quick dinner on nights you can’t find the energy to cook.
Ingredients to Make This Recipe for Spicy Pork Posole
- 2 cups shredded pork, pre-cooked (see our recipe for slow cooker carnitas!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 4-ounce can green chilis, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, drained (or white corn kernels)
- Salt and pepper
Instructions to Make This Recipe for Spicy Pork Posole
- In a cast iron skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 4 minutes until soft.
- Add flour, chili powder, cumin, red pepper, salt, black pepper and garlic. Stir continuously for 3 minutes as thick paste forms.
- Slowly add broth, stirring vigorously to combine ingredients.
- Add tomatoes and green chilis and bring mixture to a low boil to thicken. Stir in hominy.
- Mix in pork, stirring all ingredients to combine. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat and serve in bowls.
We like to serve this recipe for Spicy Pork Posole topped with a squeeze of lime juice, chopped cilantro, sliced radishes, cubed avocado, shredded cabbage and a dollop of sour cream for extra flavor.Print Recipe