By Patti Werry – This recipe for Slow Cooker Carnitas couldn’t be easier. Three main ingredients, four spices and six hours and you have tender, juicy and flavorful carnitas. The meat is perfect for tacos or bowls or use it in our recipe for Spicy Pork Posole.
Recipe for Slow Cooker Carnitas
You can adjust the quantities depending on the size of your cut of meat and your taste. The leftovers are delicious (of course) and it freezes well, so go for the big piece of meat! One thing I don’t recommend is being at home while making Slow Cooker Carnitas – smelling the meat cooking for six hours is torture!
Ingredients to Make Recipe for Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 3.5 pound pork shoulder (Boston Butt) boneless, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves
Toss pork and spices in the bowl of slow cooker. Place onion and garlic on top of pork.
Cook on low setting for six hours or until meat is very tender and falls apart easily.
Remove pork from the cooker with a slotted spoon, discarding garlic and onion. Shred meat with two forks or shredders.Print Recipe
Ways to Enjoy this Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- Use in Recipe for Spicy Pork Posole with Corn (find that recipe here on our blog).
- Make tacos with avocado, lime, cilantro and tomatillo salsa.
- Make bowls with any combination of black beans, cilantro-lime rice, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and a squeeze of lime