I was asked by Carusele to participate in the #WalmartPlus campaign sponsored by SideChef. Although I have been compensated, all opinions are my own.
Citrus Carnitas, Spanish Rice, Refried Beans and Bananas Foster for Dessert!
I love to cook and have been creating recipes since I was a kid. The thing is, I really don’t love the shopping part. Sure, if you have all the time and money in the world and can meander through the aisles, then maybe. But I just found out about Walmart’s newest service Walmart+, and it’s the time saving app that might just change my life.
Since most people are still avoiding the grocery stores, or at least cutting down on our trips, grocery delivery services are super helpful. However, not all services are created equal (and I’ve tried a few!). Walmart+ was created to deliver top-notch groceries in an economic, expedient way. And it works!
I found that Walmart+ makes my life easier and saves me money and time too. This service would seem to work for so many different kinds of families. Time-starved, busy families can skip the weekly visits to the grocery store. Those who want budget-friendly options will appreciate the low prices and meal inspiration on the app. Big families, small families, those with babies or those who have two lovely and opinionated teenage girls in them (ahem) can all enjoy benefits from using the Walmart+ app!
14 Benefits of the Time-Saving App Walmart+
Simple to sign up
You don’t need to spend more of your precious time trying to figure out how to sign up for Walmart+. It literally took me 30 seconds. I could use my regular Walmart.com log in too so my information (like my address and past orders) were already in there.
Products with the W+ badge are shipped free
Items shipped by Walmart ship free for those with a Walmart+ account. There is no order minimum. Shipping fee will be waived at checkout. You’ve heard of farm-to-table, right? Well now Wal-Mart is pioneering app-to-table and I am here for it!
Free delivery from your Wal-Mart store
Love the Wal-Mart close to your home? You can now get the groceries you need from that Wal-Mart without having to go inside. You can get groceries and more delivered as soon as today. And you won’t pay more than if you were shopping in-store. ($35 minimum order from store.)
Member prices on fuel
When you are a Walmart+ member you can save on gas just like you save on groceries. Members save 5¢ per gallon at both Walmart and Murphy stations. You can also access member prices at Sam’s Club fuel centers!
Mobile scan & go
If you do want to go into the store and shop, you can now skip the checkout lines. No more trying to decide which line is going to move faster. (I always pick the wrong one.) You can check out as you shop right in the Walmart+ app to make shopping in-store fast and contact-free. This is one of those time-saving apps that you didn’t know you needed until you use it.
No upcharge in pricing
When you order from Walmart+ and have your order delivered or picked up, you will pay the same price you would pay in store. Now you can order all the groceries you need without worrying about any annoying markup.
No-contact delivery or pick up
With no-contact delivery or pick up, you can place your order and let the Walmart shopper do the shopping. And then you can get your groceries put in the trunk of your car or dropped off to your front door without coming into contact with another person.
Time-saving app means no long waits
You can use this time-saving app to check in before heading to the store for your curbside pick-up, and your groceries are ready and waiting for you. You can also track your driver’s progress when your delivery order is en route. Walmart+ members can get updated on their order every step of the way.
Opt-in to enable substitutions
We all know that there are times when items are out of stock or unavailable. With Walmart+, if there is a product in your order that is not available they can easily replace the item for one of similar type, style and quantity. You can add information in your order to tell the shopper which substitutions you prefer for each item, or the order as a whole. You can also let them know that if something isn’t available to just refund that item.
Request a refund online
You’re busy. You don’t have time to haggle over the price of a package of eggs. No problem with Walmart+. If you’re not satisfied with an item or a substitution, you can request a refund online. Save yourself the time and effort of a trip to the store. Just go to the Order Details section of this time saving app and select ‘Have an item issue?’ The whole refund request takes just a few clicks.
Get a free trial
It is SUPER easy to start a free trial of Walmart+ now. You can get 15 days to try the service out and see how it works in your life. When I signed up, I was even able to extend the trial to 30 days by answering three simple questions.
Easy to cancel
Unlike some grocery delivery services or other online memberships, Walmart+ is as easy to cancel as it is to sign up. The “cancel my membership” button is easily spotted and though I haven’t had to try it yet, it seems as though cancelling can be done efficiently if this service isn’t right for you.
Low monthly fee.
Walmart+ is a membership service that gives you a lot of benefits for a low cost. You can pay monthly ($12.95) or save a little bit and buy an annual membership ($98). You can have groceries delivered in two hours or less for an additional express fee of $10. (I ordered at 7pm and was able to schedule delivery for the next day at 9am.)
You can support UNCF
I really appreciated that when I placed my order I have the opportunity to “round up” the total and donate that money to the United Negro College Fund. This is a much needed and worthwhile cause and it impresses me that I (and all the other members) can so easily support it!
Walmart+ Helped Me Create This Mexican-Inspired Meal
When I was trying out this new grocery delivery service, I decided that I would add the ingredients for some of my favorite dishes in my new cookbook, One Pan Cookbook for Men. I ordered the ingredients for this Mexican-inspired meal from Walmart+ and didn’t have to go into the store to get anything!
I’ve included recipes from my cookbook, One Pan Cookbook for Men, below to inspire you to try Walmart+. Citrus Pork Carnitas, Spanish rice and refried beans will make a delicious dinner your whole family will love. Then serve them my Bananas Foster recipe for dessert and you may win parent of the year!
Recipe for Citrus Carnitas
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 3 oranges, rinds reserved
- 3 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Put the pork roast on a plate and rub the entire surface with the spice mixture.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the roast and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the roast back to the plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Return the roast to the skillet. Pour the orange juice over the roast and sprinkle it with the orange zest and oregano.
- Place the orange rinds around the roast. Cover and place the skillet in the oven to cook for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve with freshly warmed flour tortillas.
Recipe for Mexican-Inspired Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/8 cup oil
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 6 stems chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add rice and stir regularly, cooking until golden brown.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic, chili, cumin, cilantro, salt and pepper to the pan and bring to boil.
- Stir, reduce heat to low, and cover pan. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until all is cooked and there is no liquid left. Fluff before serving and ENJOY.
Recipe for Bananas Foster
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 bananas, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ dark rum (or substitute Coca Cola)
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream and stir to combine. Add the bananas and pecans and cook until the mixture starts to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the rum and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes more.
- Serve immediately over vanilla ice cream.