There are biscuits, and there are cheddar biscuits. But when you add bacon? You get the most delicious taste combination ever known to humankind. Honestly, when I make this Bacon Cheddar Biscuits recipe we cannot keep them in the house more than 24 hours. My family loves them so much they disappear almost immediately.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner – they work for any meal (and believe me, we tested this hypothesis)! Salty pieces of bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, creamy buttermilk and the bite of diced chives are all mixed right into the super-easy biscuit dough. From start to finish this recipe only takes about 40 minutes.
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- 6-8 slices of premium bacon
- 4 cups baking flour
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese – grated or small cubes
- 3 tsps chives, chopped in tiny pieces (optional)
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter – frozen
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
The trick to this easy Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe is the frozen butter. Somehow, magic happens with the combination of butter, bacon, cheese and other ingredients. The combine works to create the flakiest, crumbliest, savoriest (I know those are not all real words) most delicious biscuits ever!
- Chop bacon into small pieces and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off excess bacon fat.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack positioned in the middle.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl. Add bacon, cheese and chives (if desired), stirring well.
- Grate frozen butter into mixture using a box grater, mixing every so often to keep from clumping.
- Slowly add buttermilk to mixture, stirring with wooden spoon or spatula. Combine until dough forms, but be careful not to overmix.
- Dump out dough onto floured surface and knead a few times to remove any air bubbles. Once dough has formed a roughly round ball, roll with floured rolling pin to a 1 1/2-2-inch thickness.
- Using a round cookie cutter or open mouth of a drinking glass, cut out about a dozen biscuit rounds. You may have to recombine the leftovers and re-roll flat again to use all the dough when cutting out the rounds.
- Place biscuit rounds on a plate in the freezer for about 12-15 minutes. This will help them cook uniformly.
- Remove biscuits from freezer, place on lined baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
See? The easiest Bacon Cheddar Biscuits Recipe ever.
Enjoying Your Bacon Cheddar Biscuits
Our family could eat these savory bacon cheddar biscuits all day long, and we have! For dinner, they go great with oven friend chicken or creamy broccoli soup. At breakfast, they’re perfect with a poached egg on top and a little hollandaise. And at lunch, make the ultimate BLT with these bacon cheddar biscuits as the sandwich bread.
And besides, isn’t bacon one of the basic food groups? You can’t go wrong with more bacon.
Another recipe bacon lovers will enjoy is my nana’s Pasta Carbonara Recipe, which is always a crowd pleaser.