By Patti Werry from Dinner’s Gonna Be a Little Late Tonight! — My husband Scott loves margaritas. Like really loves them. But what he doesn’t like is the heartburn that often accompanies those that are made with sweet and sour mix. Or Rose’s lime juice. To tackle that problem, he began experimenting with other ingredients and perfected this easy handcrafted margarita recipe over 20 years ago.
He originally used frozen limeade (remember making juice from frozen concentrate?) But when Simply Limeade came on the scene he switched to that. Simply Limeade and lime juice give it a fresh, light taste that is a favorite among our family and friends. How much of a favorite? When we told a group of friends we were moving many years ago, their biggest concern was, “But who will make the margaritas?”
(Caution: one is plenty!)
Easy Handcrafted Margarita Recipe – The Scottarita
Ingredients for Easy Handcrafted Margarita Recipe
Let’s start off by being crystal clear: proper margaritas are never blended. The best margaritas are always served on the rocks. Salt on the rim is a matter of personal taste, and it’s amazing the strong opinions people have about salt or no-salt preferences.
Yield: One Margarita
- 2 ounces Reposado* Tequila – Cazadores or Don Felix recommended (or Jon likes Prospero Tequila)
- 1/2 ounce Triple Sec
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau (Grand Mariner works too)
- 2 ounces Simply Lime limeade
- Juice of half a fresh lime – Scott says look for smooth skinned limes
* Reposado tequilas are aged for 2 – 12 months in oak which rounds out and softens the flavor. It’s a perfect tequila for margaritas and other mixed drinks.
Directions for Easy Handcrafted Margarita Recipe
Honestly, this margarita could not be easier to make!
- Fill a low ball glass with ice (preferably crushed or small cubes).
- Add liquor.
- Top with limeade.
- Stir and serve.
Like a Good Cocktail?
If you like this easy handcrafted Margarita recipe, here are a few other cocktail recipes to try out: