When I was a kid I hated beets. To me they tasted like dirt with sugar mixed in. But as I grew older and my tastes matured, I realized I liked beets under certain circumstances. This Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad recipe is definitely one of those circumstances! It’s sweet, tart, nutty and buttery. These are flavors that our family loves, and the plating looks really beautiful and festive.
Roasted Beets and Citrus Go Naturally Together
There is something about the combination of sweet, earthy-flavored beets that is complimented perfectly by the acid of citrus fruit. Somehow the flavors combine into something even better than the two would taste on their own. The colors are also complimentary, with reds, oranges and yellows blending in bright circles. All together, this Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad recipe makes for great visuals!
The hardest part about making this dish is roasting the beets. There is really nothing to it – it’s just that the process takes some time. If you have never roasted beets before, I’ve got some simple instructions to share that will make it seem less daunting.
How to Roast Beets
To make this Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad recipe, you will need roasted beets. Although you can buy these already roasted at the grocery store, the flavor is even better when you start with fresh beets. I get mine from the farmers market when I can, grabbing a bunch each of red, orange and yellow beets to roast at home.
- Preheat to oven to 400 degrees F.
- Start by cutting off the greens, which you can save for juicing or even a nice addition to a hearty soup.
- Wash the beets well to remove any dirt and residue, and pat dry.
- Rub the skin of each beet with olive oil and place 3-4 together on a large sheet of tin foil.
- Fold each piece of foil into a sealed pouch and put in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes. You’ll know the beets are finished roasting when you can stick a fork in easily. If it needs more time, check them again in 10 more minutes.
- Open foil pouches and let beets cool to room temperature.
- Over a waste can, peel the skin off each beet. It should slip off fairly easily, using your fingers. (Note: beet juice can stain skin and clothing, so be careful here.)
- Set beets aside or chill until you are ready to prepare the salad.
How to Prepare Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad Recipe
- 5-6 roasted beets of various colors, sliced into thin circles
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled, rinded and sliced into thin circles
- 1 orange, peeled, rinded and sliced into thin circles
- 1 blood orange, peeled, rinded and sliced into thin circles
- 6 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Instructions for Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad Recipe
Now that the hard work is all done, this salad comes together quickly and easily.
- On a large round plate, place a layer of beets to cover.
- Place a selection of citrus slices on top of the beets, careful to arrange for color and size variations.
- Repeat these steps until all beet and citrus slices are layered on plate. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil, orange zest, vinegar, honey and salt. Whisk together until fully combined, and pour over the beet and citrus layers.
- Add crumbled goat cheese and sprinkle with roasted pistachios.
Serve immediately and enjoy the fruits of your labor.Print Recipe
Serving Suggestions for Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad Recipe
This salad tastes great on its own, and is also delicious paired with roasted meats or a creamy risotto. I’ve got a great recipe for easy mushroom risotto I will have to share soon and link to this recipe!
Looking for other delicious salad recipes? Try this recipe for Shrimp Salad with Green Goddess Dressing or this Tandoori Potato Salad recipe.