This post was sponsored by King’s Hawaiian as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
On our travels to France, our family had our first bites of the famous Croque Monsieur sandwich. This delicious morsel is a standard on the menu of many French cafes and has made its way to America because of its popularity abroad. Somewhere along the way it was renamed the Monte Cristo sandwich in the States. Regardless of what you call it, we love it! That’s why I came up with this unique variation on the classic sandwich melt. You have to try my recipe for Monte Cristo with a Twist-O!
Yes, I know the name is cute. I called my sandwich this because there are a few surprises tucked inside my version of the classic melty goodness of the Monte Cristo. This recipe for Monte Cristo has a bite to it because of a few special ingredients. Starting with KING’S HAWAIIAN® Bread wraps the whole sandwich in that distinctive flavor our family loves. Then homemade bacon jam gives it some sweetness and spice, pickled jalapeños bring it a snap, and substituting salty pieces of bacon for the traditional ham lend some texture.
Perhaps our friends in France are turning in their graves as I mess with their beloved Croque Monsieur recipe. But we love it and wanted to share our recipe for Monte Cristo with a Twist-O.
Recipe for Monte Cristo Sandwich
We’re huge fans of King’s Hawaiian Original Sweet Sliced Bread and buy it regularly on our weekly trips to Target. This sandwich just tastes better made with a loaf of this delicious, soft, sliced bread. This melted sandwich itself is a little decadent – soaked in egg batter and then fried to a crispy golden outside. Inside, the cheese gets all melty and the egg mixture turns all custardy. Mmmmmmmmm yum – perfect for a chilly day or night at home.
In addition to the King’s Hawaiian Original Sweet Sliced Bread, another secret ingredient is my homemade bacon jam. Salty, sweet and tangy, this bacon jam is addictive. Consider yourself warned!
(Makes two sandwiches)
- 4 slices King’s Hawaiian Original Sweet Sliced Bread
- 4-6 pieces cooked bacon
- 2 Tablespoons bacon jam (see my recipe for bacon jam here)
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 round slices pickled jalapeño
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
Instructions to make our recipe for Monte Cristo with a Twist-O
- Place 4 slices of King’s Hawaiian Original Sweet Sliced Bread on a flat surface. Spread mustard evenly on two slices, and spread mayonnaise evenly on the two others.
- Place 2-3 pieces of cooked bacon on the mayonnaise-topped bread slices, making sure to cover the surface.
- Top the bacon with 2/3 of the grated cheese and then lay 3-4 slices of jalapeño on top of the cheese.
- On the bread slices with mustard, spread 1 tablespoon bacon jam evenly across on each slice. Carefully put the two slices together to form a sandwich and press down softly to combine.
- In a large flat bowl or baking dish, scramble the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg batter, allowing to soak for 1-2 minutes before turning over to get the other side.
- In a large skillet or non-stick pan, melt butter on medium heat. Place each sandwich carefully in the pan and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip the sandwich over and repeat to cook the other side for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, slice diagonally and serve immediately.