If you love Mediterranean flavors, then this recipe for Chicken Gyro is for you! There is something so perfect about the combination of spices in Mediterranean dishes. It’s those exotic spices and creamy sauce along with fresh vegetables that do it for us every time. Add some slices of tender chicken breast to the equation and this dish becomes a balanced and healthy meal for lunch or dinner.
I have to admit it. When I first saw the word “gyro” years ago, I didn’t know how to say it. Guess we all have to start somewhere – haha! As I stood in line at the food truck at UC Berkeley, I incorrectly pronounced it “jeye-roh.” And was kindly corrected by a fellow student as to the correct pronunciation: “Yee-roh.” Whatever you call it, this recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps with Sour Cream Sauce is addictive. Our whole family loves it, so I make it all the time.
Another great thing about this recipe for Chicken Gyro is that the ingredients keep well for another meal the next day. We love a dish that keeps on giving like this one, since lunches at home these days can get monotonous!
Recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps with Sour Cream Sauce
We love making this recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps because everything comes together quickly and easily. You can even marinade the chicken in advance, and just cook it when you are ready to eat. I prep mine in the morning and just stick it in the frig for the day. When it’s time to make dinner, I take it out before I start preparing the other ingredients. By the time the recipe calls for me to cook the chicken, everything is good to go.
Ingredients for Recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps with Sour Cream Sauce
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut or pounded to 1/2 thickness
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons garam masala*
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 lb of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup white wine (water can be substituted)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- 4 round pieces of pita bread
* Garam masala is a Mediterranean spice mix consisting of cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and can be purchased in the spice section of the grocery store. Or if you have the spice mixture leftover from our Moroccan Rack of Lamb recipe, you can use that!
Instructions for Recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps
- Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towel. Set aside.
- Combine garam masala, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl to form a thick marinade.
- Add sliced onions and chicken breasts to bowl and toss to coat completely with marinade. Leave in bowl and set aside if you plan to cook immediately, or pour contents of bowl into ziplock bag and place in refrigerator for later use.
- In a medium bowl, combine halved tomatoes, cucumber pieces, cilantro and half of the minced garlic. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, one tablespoon lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, one tablespoon lemon juice, lemon zest, remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Brush pitas on both sides with olive oil and toast in pan until golden on the outside and soft on the inside. About 1 minute per side will do it. Keep pieces warm by wrapping in foil until ready to serve.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion mixture, arranging chicken to lay on bottom of pan with onions surrounding. Cook chicken about 3 minutes per side, tossing onions occasionally to reach a golden brown color.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on cutting board. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch-thin slices and cover to keep warm.
- Continue to cook onions for about 2 more minutes. Add wine (or water) and stir to combine, cooking for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
To Assemble Recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps
This is the part where you can individualize the servings depending on what people like most. Our kids don’t like onions (good! more for us parents!), I like extra sauce, and Triton always asks for double protein with more chicken. You can accommodate your family’s personal tastes with this recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps easily. The dish can even be served vegetarian style if you wish.
- Place a slice of pita on a plate. Top with desired amount of chicken – I usually use about 3-4 long slices.
- Add onions as desired, spreading alongside chicken slices.
- Spoon tomato and cucumber mixture over chicken, and then top with spinach leaves.
- Drizzle with sour cream sauce as desired.
- Sprinkle top with chopped fresh cilantro and feta and serve.
We hope you enjoy this easy Recipe for Chicken Gyro Pita Wraps! You can also substitute the chicken for pretty much any protein for a different flavor combination – slices of steak or pork, lamb, shrimp, salmon, tofu or perhaps another favorite?