Sometimes I’m just in the mood for green food, especially around St. Patrick’s Day. I’m not a huge fan of corned beef and cabbage or boiled potatoes, so maybe my Irish genes just didn’t take. (I think they got overrun by the Italian side of my DNA.) So when St. Paddy’s rolls around, I look for something that fits the theme. Now I pull out this Pistachio Pudding Cake recipe. It’s so darn delicious and bonus – it’s GREEN!
From my mom’s Italian kitchen comes this incredibly delicious and easy to make Pistachio Pudding Cake recipe. If you like pistachios, this one is for you. I updated it a bit since the recipe is from when I was a kid ( a looooooonnng time ago) but all the goodness is kept intact.
The best thing about this Pistachio Pudding Cake is how moist it is without getting too dense. Trust me, once you make this cake it will be one of your family favorites. I made it when the kids were little, and now they beg for it all the time. It’s officially been elevated to Special Occasion Status!
Pistachio Pudding Cake
Ok first of all, do NOT give me a bad time for all the shortcuts in this recipe. Seriously, can’t we all use a little more time in our lives for things other than making cake batter from scratch? Besides, my good old friend Betty Crocker has been looking for a comeback.
Ingredients for Pistachio Pudding Cake
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 2 boxes of pistachio instant pudding mix
- oil – 1/2 cup
- water – 1/2 cup
- whole milk – 1/2 cup
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
Instructions for Making the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a bundt or tube pan and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl for about 2 minutes. Do not overmix or the cake will get turn out tough and dense! (I learned this the hard way, and the first bite practically bent my fork).
- Pour mixture into pan and give it a shimmy to settle the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is cracking in several places. Remove and cool on a rack for an hour before frosting.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 box pistachio instant pudding mix
- Beat ingredients together in a bowl until thick and spreadable.
- Frost cooled cake and serve with a sprinkle of roasted and salted pistachios for the sweet/salty combination. Or not. We like it both ways.
Both the cake and the frosting are a decidedly green color, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or really any time of year!Print Recipe
Honestly, there is not a person I have served this to that isn’t surprised when they taste this delicious cake. See for yourself!