This post on my Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas Recipes was sponsored by Perdue Farms, and all opinions expressed here are our own.
Wow, did I eat a lot of sweets over the holidays. It seems like spending so much time at home had given me some odd permission to consume whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, as much as I wanted. Now that we are flying into 2021, I’m ready to take on the new year by eating right. Everyone’s been talking about eating healthy with a keto diet, and there are so many delicious things I can eat within the keto plan. I created keto-friendly recipes I know our family will love, and this Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas recipe is a delicious choice.
Keto is short for ketogenic, which refers to triggers that cause a metabolic state in the body called ketosis. It’s a very low-carb, high-fat diet that includes a good amount of protein. Sustaining this diet of almost no carbohydrates helps the body burn fat for energy in a very efficient way. Because modern society lives on a diet mostly high in carbs, a keto diet requires us to change the way we eat.
Keto-friendly recipes like my Baked Chicken Flautas recipe are modifications to family favorites that help us stay within the keto diet parameters. What’s great about following a keto menu plan is that you get to eat a lot of flavorful things, many with fat included. Meat, seafood, cheese, eggs, natural fats like butter and olive oil, vegetables that grow above the ground – all of these are components of a keto diet. We’ll be staying away from bread, pasta, rice, corn, potatoes, fruit, beer and candy. Kind of makes sense, doesn’t it?
For my Baked Chicken Flautas recipe, I modified a delicious Mexican favorite to a cleaner, more keto-friendly version. Using chicken thighs rather than breasts brings up the calorie count and fat content, which is actually a good thing when following a keto diet. I prefer to get my organic chicken thighs from Perdue Farms, because I know it will always be of the highest quality. (Please they delivery right to my door!) I also call for spinach-based tortillas in this recipe rather than the traditional flour tortillas that flautas typically use.
Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas Recipe
This is one of those keto-friendly recipes that will make you feel like you haven’t given up anything. There is so much flavor packed into these rolled chicken flautas, you’ll be wondering why you haven’t tried this diet before!
How To Make My Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup red or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored and chopped
- 2 cups chicken thigh meat, shredded (see recipe here)
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 7-8 spinach tortillas
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 1-oz packet taco seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Instructions for Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally to cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in shredded chicken and ½ cup water, cooking for another 2 minutes until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Using a flat surface, place ½ cup of chicken mixture in line across center of one tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese and roll tightly with ends open. Place flauta on cookie sheet with the seam side down, pressing down to fix firmly in place. Repeat with remaining tortillas until all filling is used.
- Brush tops and sides of flautas with a light layer of oil, using about 1 tablespoon total spread across all the flautas. Place in oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- In another pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add entire packet of taco seasoning and stir to mix.
- Add tomato sauce and ½ cup water to pan, stirring well over medium heat for about 3 minutes until bubbling.
- Remove flautas from oven when done, placing 1 or 2 on each dish to serve. Top generously with tomato sauce mixture, sprinkle with fresh cilantro and add a dollop of sour cream as desired.
Shredded Chicken Thighs
As you are making my Keto-Friendly Baked Chicken Flautas recipe, you can make your own shredded chicken thighs by following my recipe here.