Tacos and chicken just go so well together. Add Asian flavors and the dish takes on a whole new flavor profile! This recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors is super easy, and make the whole family happy. Not only are they delicious, but I can make them so quickly on a busy weeknight that multi-tasking becomes a snap.
Our family loves to eat chicken – it’s our go-to protein for meals both regular or fancy. It’s a favorite of ours that we eat all the time because it’s versatile, tastes good and is good for us. But chicken can be boring unless you spice it up, and that’s where my recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors comes in. This is literally one of the easiest recipes ever, and so flavorful you will want to make it again and again.
Start with Organic Chicken
The key is starting with the right kind of chicken. Chicken does not all taste the same, and the product you choose to buy dictates the quality of flavor. I will typically buy organic whole chicken, pasture raised and humanely prepared. These birds are literally raised in pastures with maximum fresh air and sunshine.
These chickens live outside in the pasture 24/7 as soon as they are released from brooding as chicks. They forage for their food, living on a natural diet of seeds, grasses and insects with no antibiotics or hormones added. This is the way chickens were raised on family farms generations ago, and we’re glad to see this becoming more common now. It makes a huge difference in how they taste too. Organic chicken tastes like chicken should, not bland and watered-down.
Recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors
I whipped up this recipe one night when the kids said they were hungry for Asian food. I steamed a bag of broccoli, heated up some frozen potstickers and made this chicken dish. So easy, and so delicious they asked for more.
For Roasted Chicken:
- 1 Organic Whole Chicken
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons black bean garlic sauce (I get mine in a jar at the grocery store)
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly the long way
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in thirds and then sliced into long thin fingers
- Plum sauce (available in a jar from grocery store)
- Flour tortillas
Instructions for Making Recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors
This recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors could not be easier.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat whole chicken in 1 tablespoon sesame oil and place in baking dish.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl to make a chunky sauce.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce on to the top of the chicken, allow in to run down sides.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and pour another 1/4 cup of sauce on top and sides of chicken. Place back into the oven and bake for 20 more minutes or until done. (A sharp knife inserted into the section between leg and thigh should produce clear juices.)
- Remove chicken from oven and pour remaining sauce over chicken. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Carve and serve in slices, or cut into whole pieces and serve.
To Make Asian Chicken Tacos
I love Asian flavors, and they often mix really well together. Here’s a simple and delicious way to serve this chicken!
- Take a flour tortilla and toast both sides very slightly in a pan or on the burner.
- Spread a healthy dollop of plum sauce down the center, and place slices of chicken on top of the sauce.
- Next to the chicken, lay one long green onion, 2-3 long thin slices of cucumber, and 1-2 leaves of fresh cilantro.
- Roll up and eat like a soft taco.
Do You Like Roasted Chicken?
If you like this recipe for Roasted Chicken with Asian Flavors, try these other favorites:
The Best Roasted Lemon Chicken Recipe Ever
Greek Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe